Hey Congress: You’re not listening. Or maybe you’re just choosing not to hear me, and him, and her, and them… all of them. Well, Congress. If you hear only one thing, hear this…
Today’s Message: @LawmakerXYZ The Baucus #BigTobacco bailout is a FRAUD on US free enterprise. Remove it from the highway bill http://bit.ly/NewTax
Good morning on Wednesday, June 26, 2012. It’s day THREE of make or break week and the danger is still imminent. Thank you for GREAT participation last night. We raised our voices and shattered some glass using Facebook and Twitter to go nuclear on members of Congress who are sitting on their thumbs, chattering their teeth and nervously hiding in the corner, afraid to confront the Big Tobacco bailout. We sounded the alarm because we are in condition critical. U.S. Senator Max Baucus (D-Montana) believes he has won with his favor to Big Tobacco intact. We must spur House Republican negotiators to STRIP the Baucus provision before they agree to the overall bill.
CONGRESSIONAL STAFF: PLEASE REMOVE THE FOLLOWING PROVISION FROM THE HIGHWAY BILL. Here is the provision inserted into the Senate’s version of the highway bill through S.Amdt1825 on March 8, 2012 (Senate roll call vote 29). There were dozens of pages and hundreds of lines in the amendment, but this was the very last piece:
SEC. 40425. ROLL-YOUR-OWN CIGARETTE MACHINES.
(a) In General.–Subsection (d) of section 5702 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following new flush sentence:
“Such term shall include any person who for commercial purposes makes available for consumer use (including such consumer’s personal consumption or use under paragraph (1)) a machine capable of making cigarettes, cigars, or other tobacco products. A person making such a machine available for consumer use shall be deemed the person making the removal as defined by subsection (j) with respect to any tobacco products manufactured by such machine.”
That’s it. That’s the language that is a fraud on free enterprise, a lie on paper in black and white, and something apparently so radioactive even the most conservative, freedom-loving members of Congress won’t touch with a ten-foot intern.
GUESS WHO SUPPORTS THE BIG TOBACCO BAILOUT AND LOST THEIR RE-ELECTION BID?
CONGRESSPEOPLE, HERE ARE YOUR TALKING POINTS: Big Tobacco spent millions this year alone to put this provision in the bill. We want this provision out. Why?
- Only the Big Tobacco companies will benefit under the Baucus provision in the U.S. 2012 highway bill.
- The Big Tobacco companies spent more than $3 million in 20 days hiring 60 lobbyists urging inclusion of this provision.
- The Baucus provision will “reclassify” 1,000 small retail tobacco shops as “tobacco manufacturers” crushing them with huge new taxes and regulations.
- The Congressional Budget Office has already determined under the Baucus provision, these “reclassified” businesses will be forced to close.
- A retail shop is NOT a “manufacturer” and must not be drowned with the same taxes and regulations as one.
OUR MISSION: This Baucus bailout stinks. It’s a dirty power grab by the Big Tobacco companies and the members of Congress who’ve been paid off. It must be stopped. Target the folks below on Facebook, Twitter, e-mail and phone calls. Dial the Capitol Hill operator at 202-224-3121 and ask for one of these members. There’s also TOLL FREE numbers you can call to reach the Capitol Hill switchboard. Try a Google search for “call your member of congress toll free”.
Transportation Committee Republicans / Leadership Members
- John Boehner (Oh.) @SpeakerBoehner @JohnBoehner http://www.facebook.com/johnboehner
- Eric Cantor (Va.) @EricCantor @GOPLeader http://www.facebook.com/eric.cantor.90
- Tom Price (Ga.) @RepTomPrice http://www.facebook.com/RepTomPrice
- John Mica (Fla.) @MicaForCongress http://facebook.com/JohnMica
- Don Young (Alaska) @RepDonYoung http://www.facebook.com/RepDonYoung?ref=ts
- John Duncan (Tenn.) no known account http://www.facebook.com/CongressmanDuncan
- Bill Shuster (Pa.) @RepBillShuster http://www.facebook.com/Rep.Shuster
- Shelley Moore Capito (W.Va.) @RepShelley http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shelley-Moore-Capito/8057864757
- Rick Crawford (Ark.) @RepRickCrawford http://www.facebook.com/RepRickCrawford
- Jaime Herrera Beutler (Wash.) @HerreraBeutler http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jaime-Herrera-Beutler/206613968946
- Larry Bucshon (Ind.) @RepLarryBucshon http://www.facebook.com/RepLarryBucshon?v=wall
- Richard Hanna (N.Y.) @RepRichardHanna http://www.facebook.com/reprichardhanna
- Steve Southerland (Fla.) @Rep_Southerland http://www.facebook.com/RepSteveSoutherland
- James Lankford (Okla.) @RepLankford http://www.facebook.com/lankford.for.america
- Reid Ribble (Wis.) @RepRibble http://www.facebook.com/CongressmanReidRibble
- Fred Upton (Mich.) @RepFredUpton http://www.facebook.com/uptonforallofus
- Ed Whitfield (Ky.) @RepEdWhitfield http://www.facebook.com/RepEdWhitfield
- Doc Hastings (Wash.) @DocHastings http://www.facebook.com/RepDocHastings
- Rob Bishop (Utah) @RepRobBishop http://www.facebook.com/RepRobBishop
- Ralph Hall (Texas) no known account http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralph-Hall/6311458773
- Chip Cravaack (Minn.) @RepChipCravaack http://www.facebook.com/RepChipCravaack
- Dave Camp (Mich.) @RepDaveCamp http://www.facebook.com/repdavecamp?sid=c10677bd7a215807e8f90049186451fa&ref=s
- Patrick Tiberi (Ohio) @TeamTiberi http://www.facebook.com/RepPatTiberi