If you’re a member of Congress, or work for a member of Congress, we are asking you to learn about the provision we call the “Big Tobacco bailout.” It’s a provision U.S. Sen. Max Baucus (D-Montana) slipped into the highway bill without anyone knowing, and we want it stripped from the bill because:
- The Congressional Budget Office says it will result in the closure of >1,000 small businesses;
- Reclassifying “retailers” as “manufacturers” for no other reason than to shut down retail tobacco locations is bad government;
- Giving Big Tobacco companies a monopoly on cigarette sales vs. the 99% market they have currently is anti-competitive; and
- It takes away our freedom to roll our own smokes.
SEC. 40425. ROLL-YOUR-OWN CIGARETTE MACHINES.
(a) In General.–Subsection (d) of section 5702 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended by adding at the end the following new flush sentence:
“Such term shall include any person who for commercial purposes makes available for consumer use (including such consumer’s personal consumption or use under paragraph (1)) a machine capable of making cigarettes, cigars, or other tobacco products. A person making such a machine available for consumer use shall be deemed the person making the removal as defined by subsection (j) with respect to any tobacco products manufactured by such machine.”
We don’t know, so we wait. While the political world watches in breathless anticipation of a United States Supreme Court ruling on whether the President’s crowning achievement health care law is constitutional, we’re waiting to hear what congressional negotiators have done with the highway bill.
Good morning and welcome to Monday, June 25, 2012. Congressional staffers worked like hungry vermin over the weekend on the highway bill and we still haven’t heard if they’re finished, whether they stripped the Big Tobacco bailout from the bill, whether they’ll shoot for the big burrito this week, or whether they’ll punt through another extension.
Today’s Message: @LawmakerXYZ MAKE NO DEAL until the Baucus #BigTobacco bailout is stripped from the highway bill! http://bit.ly/NewTax
First, let me commend those of you who dedicated a great deal of time this weekend to getting our message out. We spray-painted our words all over Twitter and Facebook constantly! Publicly, lawmakers like to tell you they haven’t noticed our messages. Privately, they see us all the time and they have no clue what to do with us! Some members have taken to blocking our messages from their Facebook pages, for instance U.S. Rep. Diane Black. She had us blocked from both her official Facebook page and her campaign Facebook page. Why? I suppose it’s because we’ve been anxious to tell the truth about her sellout to Big Tobacco to all of her constituents.
Second, if you don’t believe in the power of your efforts, let me remind you we’ve used social media to find out where a whole bunch of lawmakers stand on HR4134. The most recent member to publicly oppose the Big Tobacco bailout was U.S. Rep. Justin Amash (R-Michigan), and he communicated his opposition via Twitter! Thank you, Congressman and we sincerely hope you will communicate your concerns to your colleagues sitting on the highway bill negotiating committee, Rep. Dave Camp and Rep Fred Upton. They have the power to strip the Big Tobacco bailout provision (similar to HR4134) from the highway bill and save thousands of jobs!
OUR MISSION: It looks like it’s make or break week for us in Congress. The highway bill is the most immediate threat. If lawmakers approve the Big Tobacco bailout in the highway bill and it gets signed into law, we have another helluva fight to undertake at a whole new level. SO in order to avoid that, let’s make some noise for the people who can fix things. Here are the House Republicans on the negotiating committee. They need to hear our opposition to the bailout provision. Tell them what this means to you. It’s personal and tell them so. Stay civil; encourage them to protect free enterprise and preserve jobs. Most importantly, tell them to strip the Big Tobacco bailout from the highway bill.
Be good. Be online.
Transportation Committee Republicans / Leadership Members
- John Boehner (Oh.) @SpeakerBoehner @JohnBoehner http://www.facebook.com/johnboehner
- Eric Cantor (Va.) @EricCantor @GOPLeader http://www.facebook.com/eric.cantor.90
- John Mica (Fla.) @MicaForCongress http://facebook.com/JohnMica
- Don Young (Alaska) @RepDonYoung http://www.facebook.com/RepDonYoung?ref=ts
- John Duncan (Tenn.) no known account http://www.facebook.com/CongressmanDuncan
- Bill Shuster (Pa.) @RepBillShuster http://www.facebook.com/Rep.Shuster
- Shelley Moore Capito (W.Va.) @RepShelley http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shelley-Moore-Capito/8057864757
- Rick Crawford (Ark.) @RepRickCrawford http://www.facebook.com/RepRickCrawford
- Jaime Herrera Beutler (Wash.) @HerreraBeutler http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jaime-Herrera-Beutler/206613968946
- Larry Bucshon (Ind.) @RepLarryBucshon http://www.facebook.com/RepLarryBucshon?v=wall
- Richard Hanna (N.Y.) @RepRichardHanna http://www.facebook.com/reprichardhanna
- Steve Southerland (Fla.) @Rep_Southerland http://www.facebook.com/RepSteveSoutherland
- James Lankford (Okla.) @RepLankford http://www.facebook.com/lankford.for.america
- Reid Ribble (Wis.) @RepRibble http://www.facebook.com/CongressmanReidRibble
- Fred Upton (Mich.) @RepFredUpton http://www.facebook.com/uptonforallofus
- Ed Whitfield (Ky.) @RepEdWhitfield http://www.facebook.com/RepEdWhitfield
- Doc Hastings (Wash.) @DocHastings http://www.facebook.com/RepDocHastings
- Rob Bishop (Utah) @RepRobBishop http://www.facebook.com/RepRobBishop
- Ralph Hall (Texas) no known account http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ralph-Hall/6311458773
- Chip Cravaack (Minn.) @RepChipCravaack http://www.facebook.com/RepChipCravaack
- Dave Camp (Mich.) @RepDaveCamp http://www.facebook.com/repdavecamp?sid=c10677bd7a215807e8f90049186451fa&ref=s
- Patrick Tiberi (Ohio) @TeamTiberi http://www.facebook.com/RepPatTiberi
Senate Republican conferees (and their Twitter handles):
- James Inhofe (OK) @JimInhofe http://www.facebook.com/jiminhofe
- David Vitter (LA) @DavidVitter http://www.facebook.com/davidvitter
- Richard Shelby (AL) @SenShelbyPress http://www.facebook.com/RichardShelby
- Orrin Hatch (UT) @OrrinHatch http://www.facebook.com/OrrinHatch
- Kay Bailey Hutchison (TX) @KayBaileyHutch http://www.facebook.com/kaybaileyhutchison
- John Hoeven (ND) @SenJohnHoeven http://www.facebook.com/SenatorJohnHoeven